David Gage Realist SoundClipTM Pickup
Upright Bass Pickup
This new (Spring 2010) pickup brings the Realist´s quality sound to more basses and to more positions on your instrument. The Realist SoundClip is an extremely well-engineered, self-contained transducer unit that offers a great deal of flexibility.
How does it sound?
There have been many comments on the online bass player forums; while the various players´ impressions are interesting, the wide range of perceptions only reinforces that it really depends on the bass and amp you´re using. For instance, a poster on TalkBass said that, to him, it sounds very similar to the original Realist -- but that was definitely not my experience, on a bass which had both pickups installed.
My results in the shop peg it as being quite different from the original Realist (it being so influenced by the position against the body.) I rather like the SoundClip´s more versatile response when compared to the original Realist. On our basses (and through our amps) we find the pickup to have a more detailed tone, which can sometimes provide more "cut" (without necessarily needing more volume) in an ensemble situation. Yet the SoundClip has a more linear response, you can hear more frequencies and much more string detail. Also, so far I have only played it on basses with adjustable bridges; perhaps those without adjusters have a deeper tone.
The jury is still out (for me) until I have more varied experiences with it, but I can say that I do like the addition of detail to the sound.
Using the Pickup:
It is very easy to use. Its flexibility (positioning, tightness, removable weights) and portability (no tools needed, self-contained) make it an ideal pickup for those who want to switch between basses (or who travel and need a pickup to get a consistent sound on rental basses).
The Bullet Points:
- move your Realist SoundClip from one instrument to another instrument with ease
- bring your SoundClip for use on rental instruments while on the road
- remove the pickup from your bass when not playing amplified
- No Bass Modification Necessary since the SoundClip simply clamps onto any conventional bridge there is no filing, cutting, or custom fitting. Just open the jaws and adjust the tension wheel.
- Bridge Location is not fixed, so you can locate the pickup low on the bridge, for more body warmth, or move it higher up on the leg to bring in some more string detail to your sound... to achieve your desired sound on almost any bass.
- Two Adjustable/Removable Weights for adjusting the character of the sound
- Volume Control is built into the pickup so adjustments are very convenient
- Durable, Solid Brass Construction -- this thing is solid!
- Convenient Carry Case is included for travel